Five Ways to Wellbeing
Oxfordshire Mind has launched the Five Ways to Wellbeing campaign to encourage people to take care of their mental health and wellbeing.
Find out about our Five Ways to Wellbeing Roadshow, which is coming to a town or village near you in May 2013!
The Five Ways to Wellbeing are five small, simple steps to improve your mental health and wellbeing. By adopting these actions, you could increase your life expectancy by 7.5 years.
Oxfordshire Mind runs a number of services and activities to help you fulfil the Five Ways of Wellbeing. Look around our website to find out more...
The Five Ways are:
With people around you. With friends, family colleagues and neighbours. Strengthening these connections will support and enrich you everyday.
With this in mind, try to do something different today and make a connection:
- Talk to someone instead of sending a text or email.
- Say hello to your neighbour.
- Join a local group.
- Ask how someone’s weekend was and really listen when they tell you.
Find an activity you enjoy. Go for a walk. Garden. Dance. Just step outside. Exercising at a level that suits you will make you feel good.
Build exercise into your everyday life:
- Have a kick-about in a local park with friends or family.
- Do some ‘easy exercise’, like stretching, in the morning.
- Go for a walk at lunchtime.
Be curious. Savour the moment, whether you are walking to work, eating lunch or talking to friends. Reflecting on your experiences will help you appreciate what matters to you.
Take some time to enjoy the moment. Here are a few ideas:
- Get a plant for your workspace.
- Practice some relaxation techniques.
- Take a different route on your journey to or from work.
- Visit a new place for lunch.
Try something new. Rediscover an old interest. Set a new challenge you will enjoy achieving such as signing up for a course, fixing a bike or cooking your favourite food.
Why not learn something new today? Here are a few more ideas:
- Rediscover an old interest.
- Sign up for a short course run by us.
- Read the news or a book.
- Research something you’ve always wondered about.
Do something nice for a friend or stranger. Thank someone. Smile. Volunteer your time. Seeing yourself linked to the wider community can be incredibly rewarding.
With that in mind, why consider volunteering for a local organisation like Mind or get together with your friends to fundraise for a charity.
The Five Ways to Wellbeing were developed by NEF (the New Economics Foundation) as part of the government’s Foresight Project on mental capital and wellbeing.